Fabric Softeners-Compare & Learn about Dangers!
Going Green with Laundry and WHY....
ANOTHER GREAT REASON TO USE SHAKLEE'S Fabric Softener WHICH IS AN ORGANIC
CONCENTRATE, PHOSPHATE FREE AND SAFE FOR YOUR HEALTH!!!
**Non-toxic fabric softener liquid or dryer sheets from 10-13 cents a load, Member price
Subject: Fabric Softeners = Health Risks From Dryer Exhaust and Treated
Chemicals found in fabric softeners by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
(EPA)Identification of Polar Volatile Organic Compounds in Consumer Products
and Common Microenvironments, 1991 Reference: Lance Wallace, EPA; Phone
703.648.4287 and Polar Organic Compounds in Fragrances of Consumer Products
Symptoms of exposure are taken from industry-generated Material Safety Data
Sheets (MSDS)Compiled by Julia Kendall (1935 - 1997); distributed by EHN
Alpha-TERPINEOL -- Causes CNS disorders ... "highly irritating to mucous
membranes"... "Aspiration into the lungs can produce pneumonitis or even
fatal edema." Can also cause "excitement, ataxia (loss of muscular
coordination), hypothermia, CNS and respiratory depression, and headache."
"Prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact."
BENZYL ACETATE -- Carcinogenic (linked to pancreatic cancer). "From vapors:
irritating to eyes and respiratory passages, exciting cough." "In mice:
hyperanemia of the lungs." "Can be absorbed through the skin causing systemic
effects." "Do not flush to sewer."
BENZYL ALCOHOL -- Causes CNS disorders. "...irritating to the upper
respiratory tract" ... "headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in blood
pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to respiratory
CAMPHOR -- Causes CNS disorders. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. Symptoms:
"local irritant and CNS stimulant" ..."readily absorbed through body tissues"
..."irritation of eyes, nose and throat"
..."dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions." "Avoid
inhalation of vapors."
CHLOROFORM -- Neurotoxic. Anesthetic. Carcinogenic. On EPA's Hazardous Waste
list. "Avoid contact with eyes, skin, clothing. Do not breathe vapors ...
Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness,
drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness."
"Inhalation can be fatal." "Chronic effects of overexposure may include
kidney and/or liver damage." "Medical conditions generally aggravated by
exposure: kidney disorders, liver disorders, heart disorders, skin
disorders." "Conditions to avoid: HEAT..." Listed on California's Propostion
ETHYL ACETATE -- Narcotic. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "...irritating to
the eyes and respiratory tract" ..."may cause headache and narcosis (stupor)"
..."may cause anemia with leukocytosis and damage to liver and kidneys" "Wash
thoroughly after handling."
LIMONENE -- Carcinogenic. "Prevent its contact with skin or eyes because it
is an irritant and sensitizer." "Always wash thoroughly after using this
material and before eating, drinking, ...applying cosmetics. Do not
inhale limonene vapor."
LINALOOL -- Narcotic. Causes DNS disorders. ..."respiratory disturbances"
... "Attracts bees." "In animal tests: ataxic gait, reduced spontaneous motor
activity and depression ... depressed heart activity ... development of
respiratory disturbances leading to death."
PENTANE -- "Danger -- Harmful if inhaled; extremely flammable. Keep away
from heat a Avoid breathing vapor." "Inhalation of vapors may cause headache,
nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of
respiratory tract and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapors
may cause central nervous system depression. Contact can cause eye
irritation. Prolonged exposure may cause dermatitis (skin rash)." rash)."
Do Fabric Softeners Make You Sick?
Exposure can result from the outgassing of vented dryers or from treated
fabrics (e.g., clothes, sheets, towels), which are in close proximity to you.
Questions to ponder:
Have you been enjoying a walk in the neighborhood and found you have
suddenly fallen without realizing why?
Do you get a numb feeling in the side of your face -- and the doctors can't
find the reason?
Do you get a sudden onset of dizziness or a headache?
Fabric softeners, like other fragrant products, contain petrochemicals, used
in untested combination. These chemicals can adversely affect the central
nervous system (CNS) -- your brain and spine.
CNS exposure symptoms include: aphasia, blurred vision, disorientation,
dizziness, headaches, hunger, memory loss, numbness in face, pain in neck and
spine. CNS disorders include: Alzheimer's Disease, Attention Deficit
Disorder, Dementia, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Multiple Sclerosis,
Parkinson's Disease, Seizures, Strokes, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
Written by Julia Kendall.
Non-toxic fabric softener liquid or dryer sheets from 10-13 cents a load, Member price
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Here is a fellow who teaches Medical Students, Dr. Stephen Chaney, and what he has to say about staying healthy. My best. Pamela
Many of you have been saying to me:
"All I hear about in the news is shots and drugs. Is there a holistic approach for strengthening my immune system?"
My answer is yes! Here are my suggestions:
1) Start by eating a balanced diet composed of whole, unprocessed foods without a lot of fat and simple sugars. A great place to start designing a balanced diet that is perfect for your age, gender and activity level is www.mypyramid.gov.
2) Get plenty of sleep. The experts recommend 8 hours of sleep a night, but a majority of Americans get far less than that.
3) Exercise on a regular basis. Both too little and too much exercise can weaken the immune system (You might have guessed that the problem for most of us is the "too little", not the "too much"). The experts recommend at least 30 minutes every day.
4) Maintain ideal body weight. Those excess pounds really zap our immune system.
5) Minimize your reliance on medications. Many common medications weaken the immune system (Just listen to the disclaimers in the TV commercials for examples).
But you must work with your physician on this. Once your physician knows that you are willing to do take personal responsibility for your diet and lifestyle, they will generally be willing to minimize the number of medications that they prescribe.
6) Focus on the positive. Studies show that optimists are healthier and life longer than pessimists. And the good news is that anyone can cultivate an attitude of optimism. For most of us it is a lifestyle choice - not something that we were born with.
7) Add a supplement program to assure that your immune system is functioning optimally. In the ideal world supplements wouldn't be necessary, but there are very few "saints" who do a great job in all 6 of the areas that I mentioned.
A well designed supplement program fills in the "gaps". We want to make sure that we are getting adequate:
- B vitamins and protein because our immune cells need to divide very rapidly when we have immune challenges.
- Antioxidants because our immune cells create lots of free radicals.
- Trace minerals, especially iron and zinc, because they are required by important enzymes of the immune system.
- Vitamin D because it is vitally important for a strong immune system and most of us are not getting enough.
- Probiotics (healthy bacteria) because "bad" bacteria and yeast in our intestines can weaken the immune system.
- Omega-3 fatty acids to modulate the immune system once it has taken care of the invading bacteria or viruses.
We don't need megadoses. We just need enough.
One final thought: A holistic approach to strengthening our immune system is not an "either - or" proposition.
The flu short is 66% effective in preventing the flu for people with a strong immune system and only 33% effective in preventing the flu for people with a weak immune system.
To your health!
Dr. Stephen Chaney, PhD
Shaklee Master Coordinator
Basics of Supplementation are:
Natural vs. Synthetic, 50+ yrs. old Company that has almost 100 published scientific studies on their products, spends over $250 million on quality testing, has a well-known scientific board and scientists on board and cutting edge products without the 'bad boy products' that are unproven fads. I recommend Shaklee nutrition products:
1. Vita Lea-with or without iron, Vita Lea Gold for those over 50.
2. Omega Guard fish oil-distilled to remove contaminants. Double the DHA and EPA of other brands.
3. Optiflora-Probiotic in a triple-encased pearl needing no refrigeration. Over 500 million live lactobacillus and bifidus beneficial bacteria for your gut flora balance. An immunity MUST!
4. Soy Protein-cold water washed, Non-GMO, anti-thyroid substance removed, 50% calcium added to neutralize soy's acidic nature. Clean, consistent plant protein without the saturated fat of dairy and meat, and without the hormones and antibiotics...
Shoot me an email to request the Common Ailments booklet for further custom recommendations.