Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Healthy Breakfast Ideas...




MMmm. Breakfast. I trade whole grain hot cereal one day, with eggs the next, and the best remedy for boredom is inviting someone over for breakfast so I cook better than usual, for my single self. I have a killer applesauce oatmeal cranberry walnut muffin recipe that is like eating half a bowl of oatmeal. I put ground flax seed and half whole wheat flour and wheat germ, etc. Honey and butter on hot muffins. Will email it if you like.

Smoothies are great for breakfast. Green smoothies or protein/fruit smoothies can solve a no-time-for-breakfast meal, and make you glow. Add a muffin or a piece of toast, etc.
* My favorite berry protein smoothie: 1c. apple or grape juice, 1/2 c. frozen berry mix: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries, vanilla whey or soy protein powder for about 1/3 of the day's protein. (I mix 1 scoop whey for that melted vanilla ice cream taste with 1 heaping T. vanilla soy.) Add 1/4 c. pomegranate juice or 2 frozen cubes of pomegranate juice. Blend. What a refreshing drink!
In Oregon the blackberries grow wild for the picking, and I try to freeze some each year for cobblers, pies and now my favorite blackberry-rich smoothie. Their rich berry smell and taste are so wonderful, the seeds don't bother me. I just spit them out. Red raspberry seeds have ellagic acid in them, but I don't know what properties the blackberry seeds have.
**Shaklee whey and soy protein are the ones I recommend for quality and safety.
To order: Click on Gabi's picture on Upper Right.

There's a blueberry Colada smoothie with 1-2c. fresh or frozen blue's, 1/2 c. lite coconut milk, 1/2 c. pineapple juice, 1 banana, 1 T. honey or few drops Stevia. If fresh blue's used, add 1 c. crushed ice or cubes if you have a strong blender. I freeze juice as cubes to add to smoothies, like pomegranate juice, pineapple, apple, etc. when I take the time. These juice cubes add nutrients and texture to juice-based or mixed w/rice, almond or organic milk smoothies. Find your favorite combo.

Yogurt/Cottage Cheese or Ricotta mixed w/honey and vanilla, layered w/ granola or favorite cereal, nuts and fresh or frozen fruit. My favorite addition are Oregon blackberries, or a berry combo: blue, rasp & blackberries w/ nectarines or peaches in the summer. The colors are marvelous!

Personally, I"m in love w/ my Energizing Cocoa Soy Protein and organic milk or homemade almond milk .Can add peanut butter, almond or cashew butter, strawb's or bananas. Mix it in the blender with a couple of ice cubes or some crushed ice.

A calcium/protein rich smoothie (can add yogurt to smoothies), mini potato/ spinach quiches, chile rellenos casserole, german pancakes w/ fruit compote like blackberries w/ some sour cream or yogurt on top. MMmm. Eggs w/ basil, two no-nitrate pieces of diced pepperoni for flavor, garlic and/or onion, or chives, cottage cheese, tabasco and salt and pepper. Serve w/ toast, eng. muffins, (pictured with my Applesauce Oatmeal Walnut Muffin) etc. w/ fruit. Smoked salmon bits in eggs w/ non-hormone cheese on top.

Protein sustains energy and blood sugar, keeping it level, and keeps cravings down- a must for immune health.

As for packaged cereal, I like shredded wheat, though it's minimal in nutrients, and rare in my house. The shredded mouth from Cap'n Crunch when my kids got to choose their birthday cereal, (didn't buy it otherwise) and stomach problems speak loud enough. I'd cringe.
For sugar-fed yeast problems: I recommend the ONLY probiotic that gets past hydro. stomach acid, (Optiflora by Shaklee-upper right click) and enzymes to break down yeast walls w/ no die-off. Alfalfa to rebalance w/ alkalinizing microminerals. Science only!

To order Vanilla or Cocoa Soy Protein, the best probiotic available or that Multivitamin insurance you've been putting off, go to www.shaklee.net/leangreencafe or click on Gabi's picture at top right of blog. Best deal is the one time Membership for 15% off all products.

My best to you! leangreencafe@yahoo.com

No comments: